True story: I let our gardens go a little wild this summer.
We were really lucky at the beginning of this summer. It rained every few days, and other than pulling out the occasional weeds, I didn’t spend much time in our gardens after Mother’s Day. As the summer went on, it rained less and less until we entered a drought. Even in a drought, the weeds kept growing and I didn’t stay on top of pulling them.
Last year’s drought was brutal. I spent every day hand watering our potted plants and flower beds just to keep them alive. By late summer, we lost the battle to keep our grass green, our potted plants were dying and I was exhausted. This year, I wasn’t in to spending that much time in the gardens.
Along with the drought and the weeds this year, our hibiscus plants decided they were going to take over. They not only looked overgrown, they covered up one of our sprinklers and it could no longer water the garden and yard effectively.
Instead of ripping the plants out, I wanted to transplant at least one hibiscus in the garden on the other side of the garage. However, I abandoned that idea when the plants put up one heck of a fight.
The hibiscus eventually lost the battle when I cut their roots in several pieces.
After I removed the hibiscus plants and the weeds, our gardens looked dramatically different.
I also trimmed our cherry blossom bushes and dead-headed a few of the plants that were finished blooming for the summer.
Lastly, I needed to split the bulbs for our gladiolus. Since I failed at transplanting the hibiscus, I planted the split gladiolus bulbs in the garden on the other side of our garage. Next, I’m going to plant a few spring bulbs in this garden and put down some fresh mulch.
After I finished the gardens, the pots on our front porch needed some TLC, so I replanted them with mums and aster.
The outside of our house is ready for fall!
Until next time! Enjoy your home improvement projects.